An FM13 Blog

A football manager blog full of hopeless optimism (at least initially). I started a blog for a previous FM13 career but that fell firmly flat on its face.

After reaching 2033 it became clear depsite some small success my managerial career was dead in the water. So I started afresh with this current career and blog. After a fun though low key FM13 save I'm now moving onto my FM14 save!

I'm hoping I'll have gotten the worst of my mistakes out of my system and as I'm not going to be updating the blog story style hopefully it will be easier to update.

Saturday 23 February 2013

Time to ponder [2014]

So with the title won it's time to actually reflect on the team.


From the 1st team I've removed all the players that didn't actually get a game. Usually youth players who were there to add a bit of depth if need be. I've also removed all but one of the players who are leaving at the end of their contract. Between them they only got a handful of sub appearances because of injuries.

Vassilou is the other player who will leave. He was reasonably solid at the back but not overly impressive. Worse still his attributes are rubbish and he's getting on. At 32 I don't see him making the step up and I don't see him being worth the £90 a week he wants. So he'll be going.

We also have two additions from the youth intake: Gustafsson and Prodell.




The coaching staff reckon Gustafsson is a star of the future. I can't really disagree with that and so I placed him on the bench and made him available for 45mins of any reserve games. Prodell they think will be rubbish but I'm willing to take a chance on him. The rest of the intake was rubbish but I can't complain really. One good player and one chancer? I'll take that for a bottom tier team.

The all important pass completion has generally dropped since the halfway point. Some of that can be excused because of the lack of stability from injuries but I would prefer much better from the team. That might be a bit unrealistic for this level but I have a feeling the slight drop in performance at the end of the season could be linked to the drop in pass completion.

I think I was close to my predictions for Felic and Magnusson. Felic played pretty much every league game I think because I favoured him and he managed to grab a healthy amount of goals and assists. In Magnusson had played more (and he was certainly good enough) I think he total would have outstripped that of Felic's. I actually want to sign Magnussion permanently as on the ME he looked pretty dangerous. Felic would bring people in, one two and then turn on the edge of the box to try and score. Magnusson would charge forwards, pick a spot and then terrify the keeper. He also linked up quite well with Berner when I played Berner on the wing (injuries you know). But he has laughed off my offer for £300 a week plus other bonuses. He's out of contract and on a free. I'll keep trying.

Overall I think the team pulled together and shared the load. If you look at the two first choice wingbacks, Molder and Hansen, they chipped in with a few goals but importantly 11 assists.

Celsing, the two Ciraks and Kamara contributed a fantastic 20 goals and 21 assists.

Berner spent most of the time coming off the bench or starting in the AML role in the 2nd half of the season. So with only a bit part that was often out of position he still got an impressive 7 goals.

Perhaps the unsung hero though is Bergh.

Not the most fantastic and awe inspiring of attributes but he kept 9 clean sheets, and conceded 21 goals in 22 games. Those 9 clean sheets were key.


What to do next?

The squad is strong and based on the ease with which we won the title I'm confident we can stay up at the very least without too much in the way of changes (famous last words perhaps?). The board have given us £5.2k a week for wages and ~£40k for transfers so we can spend a little if need be.

We do lack depth though and I'd rather do more than just survive. So I'm going to aim to recruit and recruit well.

Attack

We need another striker....again. I'm not obsessed honest. Magnusson has left after his loan and I want to get him back. If not I want to get someone similar. I don't want Felic and Berner to have to take all the strain. Especially with Felic getting on a bit.

Midfield

I need another AML to cover for Celsing. That's where part of the 'slump' came from - trying to cover for Celsing's position. I would quite like one or two young players as back up here as well just so I can rotate a little to keep players fresh at key points. An AML is the priority though.

Defence

I'm happy with Molder, Manns, Sundberg and Hansen. So that's the back four from right to left but beyond that I don't think we have good cover. Ekblad is staying on for another season but I think he really is an emergency back up for the next season. So any back up I can get for defence will be key. At least one DC and multifunctional DL/R would be good.

'Keeper

Bergh has done well and I think I'll stick with him but I have no backup. Risky really and we were lucky that we got through the season like that. I need a decent back up, a player with potential to take over in a few years or just a loanee.

Overall

I'm thinking AML, GK, DC and maybe a DL/R. Anything else is a bonus.

I actually have two defenders in mind but neither of them actually want to join but maybe once the new season starts and we're in the league above they'll rethink.

Club Development

There's nothing going on here but I thought I'd mention it. I would love to club to upgrade the facilities but we have about £180k in the bank. Not a great deal really so I think I'll hang fire. The board will only say no anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment