An FM13 Blog

A football manager blog full of hopeless optimism (at least initially). I started a blog for a previous FM13 career but that fell firmly flat on its face.

After reaching 2033 it became clear depsite some small success my managerial career was dead in the water. So I started afresh with this current career and blog. After a fun though low key FM13 save I'm now moving onto my FM14 save!

I'm hoping I'll have gotten the worst of my mistakes out of my system and as I'm not going to be updating the blog story style hopefully it will be easier to update.

Thursday 21 February 2013

Enter Eskilstuna City [2013]

And....back on the horse.


Fresh Start


I didn't stay unemployed for long. Struggling Eskilstuna City weren't put off by my recent sacking and instead seemed to think that I might be the one to stave off relegation. With 19 games played (and so only 3 to go) they were 10th and in the relegation spot. The relegation zone proper was only 4 points away, but a couple of other teams were within a point or two of Eskilstuna.



This close to relegation and with only 3 games to go would normally have put me off but there's something about the 'Tuna as I have taken to calling them. I'd always noticed them in other games and they just sounded like a team worth managing. I know that sounds odd but the City in the name made me think there's a team with potential. Size wise it's not too bad 97k ish inhabitants. And the facilities are pretty good too. A 7k seater stadium. Somewhere to build.


When I wiki'd them my interest was piqued further. In real life they have an agreement with another local team. Basically City are THE team and have the aim of getting to the top Swedish tier, whilst the other team (Eskilstuna Sodra FF) are meant to act as a development side for them. This deal is then reviewed every few seasons - I guess to see if actually the other team are closer to it; then they swap roles. I know FM isn't going to actually model that but I thought that was a particularly forward thinking way of running lower league clubs from one locale! Better than one makes it than all of them toiling in the lower league forevermore.

So I was sold, and accepted. 3 games to save them. Pressure was on really as a sacking followed by a relegation (plus the sacking as it would be relegation to an unplayable league) would be quite a set back at this stage.

Tactics

A sudden a swift tactical change is perhaps not the best thing at this stage in a season but what they had been doing before wasn't working. As I looked at the squad certain things became clear. They had a good core of CM's and good DM. They had wingers and attacking midfielders coming out the wazoo, and...they didn't seem to have many out and out strikers.

Based on this I decided to go for a 4-1-2-3, or a 4-5-1, or a 4-1-2-2-1 (depending how you like to label these things.

Sweeper Keeper, two DC's, two wingbacks, a DM, 2 CM's, 2 attacking wingers, 1 striker.

Defence

As before really. We have some solid central defenders so I placed them there in the standard role. Wingbacks again to push forward and assist the wingers.

Midfield

I played the DM initially as simply a DM on defensive duties. They were there mainly to protect the back and maybe kick start some counter attacks.

In a similar fashion to the previous ill-fated Oskarshamn tactic I had two CM's. One advanced playermaker, one a deep lying playermaker. Both on support. These two would pull a lot of strings for me, depending on where we won the ball.

Two out and out attacking wingers again. These were better suited to cutting inside as...well inside forwards but initially I just stuck to wingers. Mainly because I'd prefer to use a player preferred move and have them cut inside from the winger position rather than be an inside forward. If that makes any sense.

Attack

And back to the trequistra. Poacher if need be.

Style

Zonal marking once again (I seem to be phobic about man marking) and counter attacking or control variants. At this stage in the season it was going to be all counter attack, all the time.





No comments:

Post a Comment