An FM13 Blog

A football manager blog full of hopeless optimism (at least initially). I started a blog for a previous FM13 career but that fell firmly flat on its face.

After reaching 2033 it became clear depsite some small success my managerial career was dead in the water. So I started afresh with this current career and blog. After a fun though low key FM13 save I'm now moving onto my FM14 save!

I'm hoping I'll have gotten the worst of my mistakes out of my system and as I'm not going to be updating the blog story style hopefully it will be easier to update.

Monday 25 February 2013

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed

I know it's a cliche, and I know I shouldn't be that disappointed considering season expectations but I am.


3rd and 43 points. Only 2 (plus some goals) off the playoff place, and 3 off the title. So close. So far. That in itself isn't disappointing. After all if you try your hardest and don't succeed then you can't really complain. What makes it difficult is just how bad we were in our final 5 games.



We collapsed. 2 points from 4 games. It left us in a horribly position for the final game of the season. We were 5th but could get 2nd if we won and certain games went our way.

If we won and Vasalund drew or lost then we could do it. Alternatively if Forward lost we could do it. Though it would be on goal difference in certain situations.

At various points during the final game we were 5th, 4th, 3rd and a tantalising 2nd. Until Forward came from 2 goals down to win 3-2.



What a sad looking graph. It comes down to over reliance. Bergh was out and in the Degerfors game Felic ended up out for 6 weeks. Key players at either end.

That said we played well almost all the way through the season, and way beyond what was expected. We'll have done our rep no end of good. The team is increasingly settled and now we might be able to add a few key players to make another push.

We were rewarded at the end of the season too. I got manager of the year, and Bergh was named as the keeper in the team of the season. I would have probably added Felic to the team of the year but as that would have meant paying him a £4k bonus I didn't mind too much.





Also got another job offer. Stockport in the BSP. Nah, I think I'll skip that. Looking forward to at least another season with the mighty 'Tuna City.



End of Season Analysis

I'll squeeze this here if I may:



Injuries meant we kept rotating and rarely settled. I think over half the season was played without an actual AML in the AML position. Passing completion was okay and told the same story as ever. I think it was reflected in the match engine too. We played great possession football and when we had the right people at the end of the move we were deadly.

The goals weren't as spread around but I think that is due to the combination of the step up and the injury forced rotation in the midfield. We definitely relied too much on Felic.

Attack

Broken record I know but an extra striker would be nice! Muqdisi to be frank wasn't great. He wasn't as clinical or creative as Felic, and he didn't have the pace of Berner. He just sort of trundled along.

Berner didn't get a great deal of starts, especially up front. Mainly because I was running him ragged by using him as cover on the wings.

Abohwo didn't start up front as he was doing too well from AMR. Frankly the way he drifts inside from the AMR was productive enough. I didn't want to tamper with that.

Midfield

Again...broken record. I'd like a nice out and out AML please. Easier said than done though if no one really wants to join. Other than that I think we're okay. What I need to do is ease Gustafsson into more games so he can take over from Wikstrom - he's getting on.

Defence

I feel okay with it as it stands. My first choice back four all played well. I have two back up/promising DC's and a back up DR (Ekholm) who had a howler of a debut, but might be alright. If I recruit here it has to be a quality plater.

Keeper

I've got Wachtmeister now. I might get a loanee in (if I can) for extra cover but they'll do for now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment