An FM13 Blog

A football manager blog full of hopeless optimism (at least initially). I started a blog for a previous FM13 career but that fell firmly flat on its face.

After reaching 2033 it became clear depsite some small success my managerial career was dead in the water. So I started afresh with this current career and blog. After a fun though low key FM13 save I'm now moving onto my FM14 save!

I'm hoping I'll have gotten the worst of my mistakes out of my system and as I'm not going to be updating the blog story style hopefully it will be easier to update.

Monday 27 May 2013

Valiant Vasteras [2024]

As the second half of the season progessed we hit a really good run of form. The team were happy with the tactic, they were settled and fit and confidence was a high. A good combination. The team seemed relaxed as well. With fairly low expectations so long as we finished above 8th place we could chalk the season up as a success.

I wanted more though and as we played more games we started to edge closer and closer to the top 4. Then gradually it looked like we might challenge for a spot in the top 2. At one point we were only 2 points adrift.

Nerves kicked in though and the bigger squads told on our fairly small and young squad. Towards the end of the fixture list we had to play 1st place Degerfors and 2nd place ??? and we lost both games. So not only did we miss the chance to close the gap but in true 6-pointer style they extended the gap and with 2 games to go 3rd was the best we could hope for. We just had to hold on. Which I was worried might be difficult, especially considering our lost to (in my mind) rivals Degerfors.

The team rallied well and....we did. 3rd place was ours.





The more things change the more they stay the same. Over the course of the career I've played 4 seasons or so in the First Division North. I've finished 3rd twice.

The first time was with 'Tuna City, and the following season I built on it and got promotion.

The second time obviously with Degerfors. I didn't get a chance to build because of the sacking but I considered it a good omen that they also then finished 1st the following season. If we follow the tradition then 1st place should be going to Vasteras in 2025!


And I'm fairly confident. We did really well the season. Exceeded expectations  and ended up, briefly, in the promotion tussle rather than mid-table. The team is pretty strong and the players have progressed. With one or two recruits I think we should do well next season. The only thing I'm worried about is how hard it is to get out of the division generally. One automatic spot with the title and then one play off place. We'd have to play well from the off.

Again though I'm fairly confident we can do that. The tactic won't be new and I know how the players work. Some of them have come on a great deal.


Player(s) of the Season



Very difficult to chose so I didn't bother and just went for 4. In no particular order, Broberg, Al-Azhar, Khalaf and Hammenskog.




Broberg gradually became first choice striker and got a reasonable 10 goals in his first season. He needed rotating because he always seemed knackered after playing a game. At first I thought it was a combination of being young and having low natural fitness. In actual fact I'd forgotten that I'd also said he could play the full 90 for the reserves...and he had been. Broberg played over 50 games this season! Whoops.



Al-Azhar was a monster in midfield. I actually played him in the IF role and he was dribble through the defence like Messi at times. He was always a danger.



Khalaf was in the DLP position and he controlled the game really well. He'd pop up with a goal threat at times but usually he was just out passing the other side and creating space.



Next to him was Hammenskog in the BWM role. He was sat just behind Al-Azhar and would win the ball back from the opposition and either A) run with it and take a pop himself or B) run, open space and lay it on for Broberg or Al-Azhar. He would also pop up in the box at odd times and make a real nusance.

I could have added my wingbacks to the list as well. Jeppsson and Asberg shuttled up and down the wings like mad. Defending, passing and attacking. Often they would end up on the end of the move, appearing out of nowhere.

Next Season

We just need a few players I think. A striker with real goal threat to compete/rotate with Broberg would be good. Some more support for the wingbacks would be nice (though I have a Mexican left back from my youth intake who'll be stepping up too) and maybe a replacement keeper as Max is getting on.

Aside from that I don't think we need to do much. We don't have a vast amount in the bank or left in the wage budget but I think there'll be enough for a few players. Stability and gradual improvement will do!




No comments:

Post a Comment